Just Call Me Second Hand Rose




 


   "Just call me Second Hand Rose"

...............that's the phrase that came to mind as I was handed down the "dress" that my mother had bought for my elder sister and me. She'd dress us identically, and while my sister would only wear the dress until she grew out of it, I seemed to be wearing the same dress for years! By the time my little sister came along, the dresses were too shabby to be handed down, so she ended up with a new one. Huh!



It was no surprise then, that as I grew older and was able to buy my own clothes, I became acutely aware of fashion and what to wear. But it wasn't until my late 40's, when I realised that once an item of clothing was no longer needed, it would likely end up in landfill or be incinerated, that I decided to take action.



That's when my preloved ladies clothing shop – OOSHASC (One Owned Should Have A Second Chance) - was born.

Why?

There are many answers, and here are a few.

In these times where pollution of the planet is paramount in most people's minds, it is important to think of ways to help with the solution. This is what I believe my business offers clients – a solution to the fight against pollution.


Did you know that the fashion industry is the second largest polluter in the world, with the oil industry being the first? It's responsible for a staggering 10% of the global carbon dioxide output, which is more than international flights and shipping combined! And that's not all. The industry also accounts for one fifth of the 300 million tons of plastic produced globally each year. The numbers are overwhelming, and it truly concerns me.



So, I set out to change people's thinking about their clothing items – about what they buy and how they get rid of them. In the UK alone, 1.75 million tonnes of clothing/textiles are thrown into waste annually, and 360,000 tonnes of reusable clothes are dumped into landfills every year, with the average item being worn only 10 times before being discarded. It's time for a change.



Preloved doesn't have to mean shabby. Preloved can mean brand new with tags on – but just never worn. During the pandemic lockdown and shop closures, many people struggled to return unwanted clothing purchases, and that's where OOSHASC comes in. It's a great way to recycle and get something back by selling at OOSHASC. Plus, it's a fantastic opportunity to find that special outfit without having to spend High Street prices – and grab a bargain!

By choosing to buy and sell preloved clothing, we can collectively reduce the demand for new clothing production, minimise environmental pollution, and contribute to a more sustainable future. It's time to embrace preloved fashion and be part of the solution to the urgent environmental challenges posed by the fashion industry. Just like Second Hand Rose, let's give clothing a second chance and make a positive impact on our planet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breast Cancer Now - a Charity I support annually with a big event

I Think My Boobs Are Getting Smaller